So, just giving a little update on my proceedings with Arch Linux. Well, I finally managed to get a proper triple boot system with OS X, Windows and Arch Linux – thanks to Kompottkin btw. The problem is that Windows needs to be the last partition on the disk to boot, and OS X and the EFI Bootloader has the two partitions in the beginning of the disk – i.e., only one Partition remains, until Windows gets confused – but thats just for the MBR Table. In the GPT Table, there can be partitions with a higher number than 4 between the third and the fourth partition. Linux recognizes GPT Disklabels and can handle these – the only problem is that GRUB (in a reasonable simple setup) so far only understands MBR Disklabels, which is why you have to install your /boot-Partition into the third MBR-Partition. But for anything else, it doesnt matter for Linux and Windows. So the basic installation procedure that worked for me was (this is just a compendium, not a guide – dont know if it always works):
- Perform a fresh install of OS X (this shouldnt be necessary, but well, it prevents from any problems).
- Use BootCamp-Assistant to partition disks (I gave Windows 32 Gig) but dont install.
- Use Disk Utility and add an additional partition (This sometimes fails – I actually dont get why. Well, as far as I saw, you have to select the BootCamp-Partition and then press „+“ and add the partition.
- Install Windows completely
- Boot OS X, install rEFIt. Run „enable-always.sh“ to make the system always boot into rEFIt.
- Boot the Arch Linux LiveCD, and use parted to create partitions as shown below.
- Reboot into rEFIt. Let it Sync your Disklabels (in the partition tool). If you have a QUERTZ-Keyboard, remember to press „z“ instead of „y“. Otherwise, rEFIt wont do anything, since the default is not to change the disk.
- Reboot again, boot Windows – now Windows should be confused and tells to boot from the Install Disk and run the Disk Repair Utility – well, I have done so. After reboot, Windows booted again.
- Now boot again from the Arch Linux CD and install Arch. Grub wont install, because the Partition Type of /dev/sda3 is set to something different than 83. Use fdisk (not parted!) to change this. Now anything should be OK and after several reboots you should be able to boot all the 3 Systems.
At least this procedure worked for me. Here are the outputs of fdisk and parted (showing Dos and GPT Disklabel):
# fdisk -cu /dev/sda WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted. Command (m for help): p Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes Disk identifier: 0x37ff4f62 Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 1 409639 204819+ ee GPT /dev/sda2 409640 63264575 31427468 af HFS / HFS+ /dev/sda3 * 63526720 65011712 742496+ 83 Linux /dev/sda4 245778432 312580095 33400832 7 HPFS/NTFS
# parted GNU Parted 2.2 Using /dev/sda Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands. (parted) print Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54501 (scsi) Disk /dev/sda: 160GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B Partition Table: gpt Number Start End Size File system Name Flags 1 20.5kB 210MB 210MB fat32 EFI System Partition boot 2 210MB 32.4GB 32.2GB hfs+ Macintosh HD 3 32.5GB 33.3GB 760MB ext2 linux-boot 5 33.3GB 41.9GB 8590MB linux-swap(v1) linux-swap 6 41.9GB 50.5GB 8590MB ext4 linux-root 7 50.5GB 126GB 75.4GB ext3 linux-home 4 126GB 160GB 34.2GB ntfs BOOTCAMP
rEFIt claims that /dev/sda3 has a wrong filesystem label in the Dos Table. I dont know why, but I didnt let it resync the partitions, since this seemed not to produce any problems so far – and at least the partition boundaries are equal. So who cares.
For KDE4, there are the kdemod-Packages which are recommended by the Arch Linux Wiki. However, these packages didnt work for me (random crashes of plasma), so I preferred to install the supported packages. These also crashed after adding the NetworkManager-Applet to plasma, but after reconfiguring anything, it didnt crash anymore so far. A problem which remains is that it seems like my xorg.conf is just ignored – at least the XkbLayout-Option, and the options for my synaptics touchpad. I always have to use setxkbmap and synclient manually to set it to proper values as a workaround. But I am sure to be able to find out the reason soon.
Actually, I dont want to use KDE anyway – not that its not a good system, but its … huge. The main reason for using it is that there is basically no equivalent Frontend for NetworkManager, except under Gnome, and I dont like Gnome. Under KDE3, there was KNetworkManager, but they have replaced it by a „Plasma Applet“ now. There is still KNetworkManager in the AUR-Archives, but it fails to compile. And there is cnetworkmanager, but I dont really get how to set up eduroam connections with it. Well, there are other network management tools than networkmanager, and I will try these.
The main problem is not the frontend but the backend: I need the official broadcom-driver for my card, which fails hard! It seems like the Wifi is randomly working perfectly, but randomly just refuses to do anything. This is strange, because on Ubuntu, Wifi worked well, as well as on a similar arch linux installation on a MacBook Pro of some other person. The firmware should be the latest. So I dont really have any clue on how to investigate on this. I think the next thing I will try is ndiswrapper, but I couldnt find any 64 Bit Windows Driver for downloading yet. Well, we’ll see.